Welcome Connor
July 3, 2011 - our day started with a trip downtown to check out a new little market I had read about in James Bay (called the James Bay Market). Kevin dropped me off out front and then went to park the car. I headed inside, walked around a bit and oh oh, felt my pants get wet - did my water just break? Kevin showed up and I said we need to go, I think my water just broke (11:30 am). Headed back to the car and drove home. Got out of the car....and another gush - yep, something is definitely happening.
Called the on-call doc and left a msg that I was due July 9, and that my water had just broke. Not having any contractions though (maybe a little bit crampy but that's it). Doc called back in about 10 mins and said if nothing more was happening, that I could just remain at home and she would call back later in the day when my doctor came on shift (my doctor had said the week before at my check-up that I needed to have the baby on Sunday because it was the next time she was on call - funny how that happened). On-call doc called back at about 3 pm and told us to come up to the hospital just to get checked out so away we went with our bags packed (still no contractions to speak of).
(3:30 pm) Got to the hospital maternity ward, they confirmed that indeed my water had broke and got hooked up on the monitors for awhile. Was starting to feel some very mild cramping what I thought was every 10 mins or so, but monitor showed contractions were coming every 5 mins. So it's now about 4:30 pm, and doc says I can either go home (and come back whenever I feel like it - even if it's just for 20 mins), or you can stay......hmmm, but wait, "maybe I should check you before you go, I don't want to be on the front page of the newspaper tomorrow as that doctor that sent a patient home who then ended up having her baby in the car"....and low and behold, I was 5 cm dilated and was not going anywhere. "You are in active labour honey!"
Contractions started coming on a bit stronger. Hung out on the exercise ball for a bit, had a shower (which felt really nice, but the stupid shower head was small and only trickled out water, so was hard to stay warm). Was checked again - was at 7 cm. Contractions coming on more hot and heavy. Tried the gas mask at one point, but hated it, as I found it really difficult to think about how to breathe in the gas and at the same time breathe thru the contraction, so quickly ditched that. Continued on thru the rest of labour without any meds (yay me!!).
9 cm...almost there.....wait now at 10 and can start pushing. But where's the doctor? In she came, I got into position...and 10 minutes and 3 contractions/pushes later, out came our beautiful little boy!
So all told: 5 hours of labour, 10 minutes from crown to birth!! Not too bad.
Now the un-fun part....
Ended up having a piece of placenta left behind which caused me to hemorrage so had to be beaten up from the inside and out to get the last of the placenta out (not good when doctor says "I know you delivered your baby without any painkillers or gas, but you are going to want to use the gas for this".....YIKES!!
Survived the ordeal. Hemoglobin was way down, lost about 1/4 of my blood but at the end of it all, had a happy and healthy baby boy in my arms!!
Welcome Connor (took us until the next morning to finally decide and confirm his name).
Called the on-call doc and left a msg that I was due July 9, and that my water had just broke. Not having any contractions though (maybe a little bit crampy but that's it). Doc called back in about 10 mins and said if nothing more was happening, that I could just remain at home and she would call back later in the day when my doctor came on shift (my doctor had said the week before at my check-up that I needed to have the baby on Sunday because it was the next time she was on call - funny how that happened). On-call doc called back at about 3 pm and told us to come up to the hospital just to get checked out so away we went with our bags packed (still no contractions to speak of).
(3:30 pm) Got to the hospital maternity ward, they confirmed that indeed my water had broke and got hooked up on the monitors for awhile. Was starting to feel some very mild cramping what I thought was every 10 mins or so, but monitor showed contractions were coming every 5 mins. So it's now about 4:30 pm, and doc says I can either go home (and come back whenever I feel like it - even if it's just for 20 mins), or you can stay......hmmm, but wait, "maybe I should check you before you go, I don't want to be on the front page of the newspaper tomorrow as that doctor that sent a patient home who then ended up having her baby in the car"....and low and behold, I was 5 cm dilated and was not going anywhere. "You are in active labour honey!"
Contractions started coming on a bit stronger. Hung out on the exercise ball for a bit, had a shower (which felt really nice, but the stupid shower head was small and only trickled out water, so was hard to stay warm). Was checked again - was at 7 cm. Contractions coming on more hot and heavy. Tried the gas mask at one point, but hated it, as I found it really difficult to think about how to breathe in the gas and at the same time breathe thru the contraction, so quickly ditched that. Continued on thru the rest of labour without any meds (yay me!!).
9 cm...almost there.....wait now at 10 and can start pushing. But where's the doctor? In she came, I got into position...and 10 minutes and 3 contractions/pushes later, out came our beautiful little boy!
So all told: 5 hours of labour, 10 minutes from crown to birth!! Not too bad.
Now the un-fun part....
Ended up having a piece of placenta left behind which caused me to hemorrage so had to be beaten up from the inside and out to get the last of the placenta out (not good when doctor says "I know you delivered your baby without any painkillers or gas, but you are going to want to use the gas for this".....YIKES!!
Survived the ordeal. Hemoglobin was way down, lost about 1/4 of my blood but at the end of it all, had a happy and healthy baby boy in my arms!!
Welcome Connor (took us until the next morning to finally decide and confirm his name).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home