Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Monday, October 11, 2010

Sailing the Whitsundays

The next day was snorkeling and dive day. We stopped at two snorkelng spots, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, where we took the rafts into shore with our gear. I did it - I tried scuba diving!! Was terrified, but I did it!! We snorkeling around a bit while the first group of certified divers went out with Theirry, the dive master, and then came and got us - Kevin and I, and other couple, who had went a few days before for the first time, and loved it. Kevin had done it a few times before on a previous trip to aussie 8 years ago, so was excited to go again. And me, nervous as hell, but sucked it up, got in the gear and tried it. We started with just kneeling under water and doing the basic training of taking the regulator out of your mouth and putting it back in again, and clearing your mask - which I had a hard time doing at first. Dive master could see I was a newbie, and was scared, so he was really good at helping me, and ended up holding my hand and swimming with me the whole time, which made the experience a whole lot better. So got the hang of clearing my mask...and off we went....down down down. I think we made it about 10 metres down when I started having trouble equalizing my one ear (and ok, was just pretty scared at that point), so eventually pointed up a few times, thinking I've had enough, I think I need to stop before I freak out too much, so the instructor kindly took me back up to the surface after motioning to Kevin and the other couple to stay put, he was taking me up and would be right back. Ok - the experience was pretty cool, was amazing seeing all the coral and creatures below, I'm glad I tried it (might even attempt it again given the opportunity), but was scared as hell. I think it would have helped if it wasn't so murky. Visibility was not great, which really made me nervous. I did it though!! Kevin went diving again in the afternoon and saw a turtle close up. Very cool!
Another lovely dinner that night (food on the ship was really great - amazing what they can prepare in that little galley). Hoisted the sails later that afternoon so got in a bit of actual sailing, which was cool. Got pretty choppy that night though, were rocked back and forth quite a bit all night. Gladly, did not get sea-sick!
On Sunday, we headed over to Whitehaven Beach (the beach we had been at a few days before). Saw a floatplane bring in a wedding party, who got married on the beach (apparently it was the first of 4 to take place that day). Weather was cloudy and a bit rainy, so not the best beach day, but the sun did manage to peak out for a bit. Back out to the ship in the rafts again. Headed up to the end of the beach up the inlet, where we were chauffeured into the beach again to take a bit of a nature walk up to a lookoout, which gave a beautiful view of Whitehaven Beach (one of the top 10 beaches in the world apparently) and the surrounding islands. Then it was back to the ship for our final evening on board.
All in all, a wonderful experience. We both loved the sailing trip. Met some very nice people on board, the crew was great, and the food was exceptional. Unfortunately, due to the weather, we didn't make it out to the outer reef, which was suppose to be another snorkeling/dive site (better than the first), but nonetheless, had a fabulous time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home